By the time I started penning my thoughts on the new GFX100s, I have gone through 5 firmware update for this preproduction set that I have been testing. When I first used it; I was wow by the quick auto focus. By the final update ofthe firmware, it’s again WOW. For a medium format camera, the GFX100s is fast. To be exact 0.18 (*CIPA) The phase detection AF works even at -5.5EV.Just check out the video below. This is shoot indoor with my iPhone.
Having said that, the GFX100s is not meant for action sport photography. Of course if you love sports, you could still try, sport portraiture? Where this system truly shine.The details are stunning. It’s second to none. 16 bit raw.
The GFX100S is smaller than GFX50S. And it has IBIS and all squeeze into a body of a DSLR. 100 Mega Pixel medium format with IBIS and weights about 900 grams. Price at USD$5999. Now that is a game charger.
This camera is perfect for commercial photographers. A dream come true. If you are into wedding, documentary, landscape, portraits, fashion, architecture & interior, products, travel, lifestyle and even sports. I meant sport portraiture. GFX100s shines.
I call it my dream camera. Why?
1. Size. It’s small for medium format camera. Some full frame camera are larger and even weights more.
2. Price. At USD$5999, it’s a bargain. If you are in the world of medium format, youwill understand this. Some medium format cameras really cost an arm and leg. And maybe a kidney too. Fujifilm has really bring down the prices to a truly realistic price point.
3. R.O.I. ( return on investment )The cost of a medium format camera is ridiculous. It’s a very serious decisionfor any full time professional photographer. The depreciation is crazy and hurts the wallet. If I look at the new GFX100s; which is at $5999. After 2 year of using it; I don’t believe it will drop to half it price. If it does, that works out to $1500 a year. Which is a very low in depreciation. And that mean better R.O.I. for the working professionals.
4. IBIS. Like it or not this is an important feature. IBIS gives the photographer that extra confidence shooting in a low light condition. The GFX100s uses 5 axis stabilization for upto 6 stop of capability.
5. Video with the GFX100s? I am not a video expert. But I believe the GFX100s is capable of shooting outstanding cinema quality video. It has a lot of potential.
6. Lenses. Having a great camera needs a greater lens line-up to back it up. The GFX system has a total of 12 lenses and 1 teleconverter. Which is amazing for a medium format set-up.
7. Street. Camera for street photography is never really meant for serious commercial work.And professional camera is always too big and heavy for street photography. For GFX100s, I think I may have found a sweep spot. Its small for work and relatively ok for street. Paired with GF50mm lens, anyone could hit the street with a medium format camera.
8. 100MP. This is where the GFX100s shines the brightest.
OK. having said all the above. I can’t wait to get my own GFX100s. Dream camera into reality.
For more details https://moment.8ocm68.net/k7PQN